Fourteen Facts About London Olympics 2012
- Boxing was not contested in 1912 Summer Olympics in Stockholm, because Swedish law banned the game. Boxing was a male only event until the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- Pigeon shooting was one of the Olympics programme in Paris in 1990, but the event short-lived. It was the only time animals were killed in purpose during an Olympic event.
- Usain Bolt is the fastest man on Earth with a record of 9.58 seconds for 100m race.
- London is the only city to host Olympics three times in the history. In year 1908, 1948 and 2012.
- London Olympics stadium is built with only 10,000 tonnes of steel. 1/10 of the weight of 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- For the first time in the history 5000 doping tests will be conducted.
- 5 million people in the UK have signed up to receive Games-related emails.
- 8000 torch bearers ran with the flame across UK.
- Costs for the 80,000 seat Olympics stadium was revised from £280m to £496m because of inflation and VAT.
- Over 200 buildings had to be demolished at the 2.5sq km Olympics park in London.
- Year 2012 marked the 60th anniversary of the Paralympics games in London.
- 160,000 workforce
23,900 athletes and team officials
20,600 broadcasters and press
4.800 Olympics and Paralympics family
- London Olympics games catering is indeed recognized as being ‘The largest peace-time catering operation in the world’.
- Food quantities in the Olympics Village :
14 million meals
25,000 loaves of bread
232 tonnes of potatoes
More than 82 tonnes of seafood
31 tonnes of poultry items
More than 100 tonnes of meat
75,000 liters of milk..
I hope that was informative. Thanks for reading..