25 things only defence services kids can relate to
You are a pure breed defence services kid if –
- You were born in a Military Hospital.
- Half your toddler years were spent being looked after by Bhaiyas ( no explanation here).
- You went to school either on Bhaiya’s cycle or in a Shaktiman.
- You know what a shaktiman is. ( No! it isn’t the TV serial about half man and half machine starring AB lookalike).
- Jeeps & Jongas don’t excite you – they were your regular mode of transport!
- The only alternative to the Central School was the Army Public, Air Force and Navy School.
- You always called Kendriya Vidyalaya Central School. Gosh even today that sounds better!
- Your entire family could survive in one room temporary quarters with 25 trunks, wooden crates, the dog, the bedroll and two bhaiyas flitting around.
- The smell of Brasso & shoe polish was regular staple.
- Mess was not what you created in your room, it was where you went every Friday for the free “English” movie.
- The “English Movie” was very often a western and you couldn’t follow a word! Sometimes you just went for the samosas and the local drink that they insisted was Cola.
- At the end of the month your dad had to pay for many pink slips showing how many samosas and local drinks that they insisted was Cola you had consumed. They never missed any!!!
- You attended many May Queen Balls before you knew what Miss India was.
- Your mother regularly got dressed, perfumed and disappeared for the Ladies Club.
- You knew towns like Mhow, Wellington, Deolali, Bhuj, Lansdowne.
- You weren’t a millionaire but hey you had Swimming, Horse Riding, Squash, Tennis and Golf!!
- You can still recall the special & particular smell of the CSD canteen! A special prize for the correct concoction – mine is – it was a mix of Hamam Soap, Ponds Dreamflower Talc & Surf i think. In some corners it had overtures of Brooke Bond red Label and Lifebuoy soap as well.
- Your vacations were a package deal consisting of D-forms, Sharma Uncle Ka jonga and Mess ka khana.
- All vehicles mysteriously appeared or disappeared from a vacuum called “EMPTY”.
- When “CO UNCLE” !! was happy he took the unit out on picnic and when he was GLAD he organised a “PAGAL GYMKHANA”..and then everyone got GLAD !!
- No one commented on the dressing sense of any body – “It was all Uniform”.
- Every house had a settee ( which looked more like a narrow coffin!!) made out of condemned ammo cartons, sarkari blankets and an old embroidered table cloth.
- You thought the main reason to have a Golf Course was to have a Holi Bash.
- You can still take one quick look at the epaulets and figure out the rank.
- You discussed Wednesday’s Chitrahaar in the Shaktiman.
The kids are still proud of what they got and are aware of the sacrifices their parents made, toiling honestly and with fullest integrity. It steeled our kids to give their best and feel grateful for every additional comfort they receive. They know that ours is a culture apart which millions of Indians would want to experience and are highly envious about.
Well done Army/Air Force/Navy kids. You are the best and the products of the best upbringing. You make your parents proud and indeed the Defence Services are proud of you.
Share this post with your military friends and remind them of those good old cantonment days! 🙂