Good, bad and unexpected of Military life.
c) Situation Reaction Test(SRT) –
1) Be sensible, write practical situation.
2) Show action happening, explain.
3) Do not act like a superhero.
4) Do not skip a situation in between, it projects that you are trying to avoid or run away from that situation.
5) Do not waste too much time thinking on a single situation.
Good e.g: She calls for help and ties her scarf on leg to stop bleeding.
Bad e.g: He will jump out of the window and save the falling cat.
d) Self Description –
1) Write the truth, project yourself in the best real way.
2) Take help from your friends, teachers and parents. Ask their opinion about yourself.
3) Can prepare in advance.
4) Introspect, to know about your strength and weaknesses.
5) Do not copy what you read in some book or website.
6) Your only chance to communicate with psychologist and tell about you in simple words.
INTERVIEW – This is the most easiest phase of ssb as far as I think because for this step you need not prepare or practice anything. Interview always revolves around the candidates past, present and future. You will be questioned about your studies, hobbies, like & dislikes, friends, enemy, some social problem(not always), why army?, your views on politics.
In interview your memory, communication, honesty, reaction, way of expression, understanding, is checked.
Before going for interview drink a glass of water and take 5 deep breathes it really helps to relax you and say to yourself “I will do good” and enter.
During Interview –
1) Interviewer is not a monster from fiction movie, calm down and communicate freely, who knows this might be your only chance.
2) Speak truth and only truth. No bluffing, beating around the bush.
3) Try to answer question in the sequence asked.
4) It is right to say “I don’t know” rather than telling fairy tales.
5) You are not required to know all the answers, as interviewer will not ask all the questions from you.
6) Do not try to be someone you are not.
If your interview is after GTO, then:
1) Talk about your group, team and not only how well you did in individual obstacle and command task.
2) Do not project yourself as a hero and the only hero of team, that you did everything.
3) Do not criticize anyone.
4) Appreciate and acknowledge others’ help in your team’s victory.
During my interview, I was very relaxed and throughout interacted with IO as a friend. It went very smooth. Didn’t realise when three quarters of an hour flew.
GROUND TASK – In this phase of ssb you are observed on ground. How good you are as a member of team, as an individual, as a commander, as a subordinate in achieving the goal. Things observed are practical application of theoretical knowledge, orator skill, physical robustness, intelligence, problem solving ability, time management.
a) Group discussion –
1) Follow golden rule – Speak and let other speak.
2) Add quality to discussion not quantity.
3) Pay attention to what others have to say, by nodding(not like a maniac) or maintaining eye contact.
4) Don’t disagree with other, don’t try to prove them wrong instead put your own point across.
5) Subject knowledge – very much required.
6) Don’t be in hurry to end or conclude the discussion, GTO is there to end it.
b) Lecturette –
1) Prepare the outline of your lecture in the given 2/3 minutes.
2) Be brief.
3) Utilize time completely and don’t overshoot your speech.
4) Maintain eye contact with your groupmates & not the GTO.
5) Be firm and loud enough.
6) Controlled use of hand and overall body language.
c) Group Planning Exercise(GPE) –
1) Keep the time and distance factor in mind, most of us ignore this easily.
2) Use the resources available in situation.
3) Prioritize the problems in order of importance.
4) Be reasonable in your solution.
5) Avoid red heir or take care of it in the end.
6) Follow basic rules in discussion.
d) Command Task –
1) Observe and understand the problem once for all.
2) Do not take help of subordinates.
3) Do not allow subordinate to break any rules, at all.
4) Do not give up, on average a obstacle has 2/3 solutions.
5) Call for good subordinates and not good commanders.
6) Resourcefulness of subordinate can’t be used but they have to be good in obeying order.
e) Half Group Task, Progressive Group Task and Final Group Task –
1) For god sake stop don’t run behind the Balli(stick), fatta(plank) and rassi(rope).
2) Help others in crossing.
3) Give your ideas when everyone is busy thinking.
4) Think for next obstacle if you couldn’t help in the previous one.
5) Don’t fight or snatch the helping materials. (Yes, people do that.)
6) Don’t keep on shouting like a maniac to get them to use your solution or for helping material.
f) Individual Obstacle –
1) Try to do as many as you can.
2) More than 10 obstacle will give you sure advantage.
3) Go in an orderly manner(sequence), you will not miss any.
4) Plan your order of proceeding in advance.
5) Don’t get hurt unnecessarily.
6) Don’t hesitate to jump, or leap.
I have covered mostly everything in these four stages of SSB. If you have any doubts leave a comment and if you found this helpful then do share with your friends.